Monday, June 21, 2010

My Mom's symptoms as best I can write them

I really dont know what my mom goes through. Only her and God know for sure how she lives with this and what she has to endure on a daily basis. If I can, I will try to get this in her own words.

I only really know what she has told me. My mom is from the old school of grin and bear it. Her dad was a Hell-Fire and Brimstone Southern Baptist Preacher. He has past on now. (I cant help but wonder what he would think of his little girl having such a debilitating disease as this. How would be reconcile this into his faith?)

My Mom's feet are beet red. They burn constantly. She gets little to no relief at all from the pain. She has to keep her feet in ice water all the time.

She is able to keep them out of the ice water for short periods, but very short . After a while, the burning pain is unbearable and she has to put them on ice.

She has an ice pack that she takes everywhere with her. She has her feet on this pack most all the time. When she is sitting watching TV at night, she has a bucket of ice water that she has to keep her feet soaking in.

She loved to bowl a way back before this disease came. Now she cannot because she cannot wear bowling, or any other kind of shoes. They are too hot and would tear her feet apart.

She can wear sandals, but even that is for a very short time.

The closest she can get to bowling these days is on her Wii. She has had to give so much of life due to her this condition. She just cant be out of the ice water for very long.

Can you imagine living with such a disease for 30 years? Of course, it could be worse, as there are far worse diseases out there that people have to live with, but that's really not much consolation.

Maybe there is not much attention to this disease cause you can live with it, just your quality of life is pretty poor.

I don't know. All I know is that I think 30 years with such a disability is way too long. Surely, there is someone out there that knows this disease and knows of something that could help and maybe can even cure it.

No comments:

Post a Comment